I’m pretty much always in the mood for baking. Sometimes, I’m happy for it to be a two-hour long affair, but there are times when I just fancy a quickie. Here’s a great recipe for healthy(ish) Oatmeal Cookies that take 10 minutes to prepare, 18 mins to cook, and about 20 seconds to devour.
Ingredients (makes about 20)
- 175g rolled oats
- 115g soft brown sugar
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160˚ C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Put the oats, sugar, and oil in a mixing bowl and stir together. Don’t worry if it looks a little dry at this point, the egg will moisten it.
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Take a small amount of the mixture, roll it into a ping-pong sized ball and place it on the baking tray. If you like your cookies chewy, keep them fully rounded, otherwise flatten them using the back of a fork. Leave enough space in between them to allow them to spread.
- Bake for 18 mins or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
For something even healthier, replace the vanilla extract with cinnamon and 2tbsp of the rolled oats with sultanas or raisins.
Alternatively, substitute 1 tbsp of rolled oats with crunchy peanut butter and add your favourite copped nuts. Yum!