There’s a new(ish) Barrio in town, and I went with my dutiful housemates to check it out. *SPOILER ALERT* It was awesome.
With a very funky interior and diverse menu, the newest branch of the mini-chain Barrio – this time in Brixton – hit all the right salsa notes for me. Our waiter went above and beyond to ensure we had the best night possible, which included both telling us (out of the corner of his mouth) about the soon-to-be-ending 50% off all food offer and replacing a coriander-laden guacamole with the tomato chipotle jam.
We started with Guac and chips (which needed a lot more flavour) and South Sea Sour cocktails (which needed no extra flavour at all). As Barrio has 2-4-1 cocktails until 9pm, between the three of us, we took it upon ourselves to sample pretty much every drink on the menu. The favourite by far was the (Kumma Kumma Kumma Kumma) Kumquatameleon because it was the closest thing to our beverage of choice, the Margarita. The Kumquat syrup gave it a real-nice twist too. My third (or was it fifth) and final cocktail was the Pina Picante. Don’t let the Rico hot sauce put you off, because it would be a travesty not to try this innovative concoction of joy.
We got a good selection of food, which included:
- Nachorreados (v) (Corn tortillas, salsa verde, pico de gallo, sour cream, Chihianhua cheese and guacamole)
- Mi Corazon (Panca-marinated ox heart skewers with “carretilla” salsa rocoto cream and cancha corn). This was the first time I’ve had ox heart, but it won’t be the last. I thought the meat needed a touch more seasoning, but alongside the charcoal habanero condiment, it turned into something that was all kinds of awesome. I also loved the crunchy corn it came with.
- Cactus quesadillas (v) (Chihianhua cheese, cactus, pico de gallo, sour cream and salsa)
- Broccoli a la parrilla (v) (Tender stem broccoli with chilli and garlic crisps)
- Lima lickin’ chicken (Crispy marinated fried chicken and lemon popcorn with “secret” panca chilli tip). All I can say here really is nom, nom, nom. Fried but not greasy- could have eaten a bucket of it.
- Tequenos (v) (Crispy wonton filled with 3 cheeses, burnt spring onions and tomato chipotle jam). WISH we had ordered two plates of these. The combo of cheeses was bang on.
- Sweet potato fries (v)
Considering how much I ate, I didn’t feel in the slightest bit bloated or sluggish and was more than ready to dance the rest of the night away.
Great atmosphere, great food…I felt awesome the whole night. Arriba! Arriba!